Text: John 3:1-21
To see an arresting dramatization of this exchange between Jesus and Nicodemus see The Chosen Season 1 Episode 7. Click on this link or paste it in your browser: https://www.angel.com/watch/the-chosen/episode/41bdd5d9-35a8-4715-b008-ba875a98dcae/season-1/episode-7/invitations
Main Idea: Mankind is connected in our common need for God and His uncommon love despite our neediness.
I. God so loved the world
- “The world” includes every human being in every human condition.
The more we contemplate the scope of that phrase “the world” the more astonishing is “for God so loved…”
II. That He gave His only Son
- To pay the awful price that divine justice required, for every one of those sins.
- “There is no other name under heaven by which men can be saved?” (Acts 4:12)
- The cost could only be covered by the blood of the perfect Lamb of God.
III. That whoever believes in Him
- “Whoever” is all-inclusive but the requirement is very specific. Whoever believes. To believe is to personally accept the payment.
- Every person you see is included in this offer, but it must be personally accepted by each person.
IV. Should not perish but have everlasting life.
[The View from My Place]
No matter how successful people may be, God sees their need for life, and it goes beyond their fame and stuff. He is not faked out by the glamour of our lives.
The human experience is rich and varied. But for us, we get to live through it not just with the promise of eternal life but with the One who is eternal life inside of us every step of the way.
“What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes” (James 4:14_.
- In the light of eternity, what matters most is not how long we live but how prepared we are to die. For a Christian, this is not morbid thinking, it is forward thinking. Forward thinking that shapes our daily values and perspective and gives us eternal hope.