Text: Proverbs 3:5-6 (NIV) 5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; 6 in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.
The text is the main idea.
1. Trust in the Lord with all your heart.
• When it comes to trusting in the Lord the blessing is not just in what we receive as a result but some of the richest blessings are in the trusting itself. For example, Jeremiah 17:5-8:
• No fear when heat comes.
• Leaves always green.
• No worries in drought.
• Never fails to bear fruit.
2. Lean not on your own understanding.
• Psalm 14:1 The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.”
• Proverbs 28:26 He who trusts in himself is a fool, but he who walks in wisdom is kept safe.
3. In all your ways acknowledge Him
• More literally, in all your ways know Him. It’s an exhortation to awareness.
• The blessing that is ours under the New Covenant is God has placed His Spirit inside of us to help facilitate this awareness and give us experiential knowledge.
• Jesus said part of the Spirit’s “job description” is to “take from what is Mine and make it known to you” (John 16:15).
4. And He will make your paths straight.
• The promise is to make our paths straight or to direct our paths, not necessarily reveal the path beforehand.