Text Verse: Psalm 37:4 (NIV) Delight yourself in the LORD and He will give you the desires of your heart. (This is also the Main Idea)
I. Delight yourself in the Lord… (Vision of His Delightfulness)
- Synonyms: contentment, joy, pleasure, delectation, gladness, gratification and fullness.
- What makes Him delightful? All His divine attributes: wisdom, love, power, beauty, understanding, joy and fullness.
- “Delighting in the Lord is a progressive journey of discovering His delightfulness, how to appreciate it and how to apply it in our daily dealings.” (That sentence will be in the notes I put on our website.
II. Delight yourself in the Lord… (Your Personal Indulgence)
- Not just to be better for someone else or to be more productive or more disciplined, etc. But just to be delighted in Him – for yourself.
- This is the Lord’s personal invitation for you to pamper yourself in Him at the spiritual spa called, “Delight Yourself in the Lord.”
II. Delight yourself in the Lord… (Your Unique Experience)
- The delight of the Lord is not an escape from reality but a comforting ride into and through your reality.
- “In the Lord” is not just delighting in results. It’s delighting in Him personally.
- It’s being honest with Him about how life feels and struggling with Him and before Him for reassurance, and then being able to recognize the shafts of light He sends into the darkness, realizing they are from Him.
- Parenting, like your job, is a detail in a much larger life than you realize. The Lord wants to use motherhood and your womanhood in general to increase Your experience of the eternal life You have.
- The abundant life is not getting the life you want it’s experiencing the delightfulness of the Lord in the life you have.
- Psalm 37:4 (MSG) Keep company with GOD, get in on the best.
IV. Practical Ideas
- Follow your own advice. Job 4:3-6 Don’t underestimate the effectiveness of your own advice.
- Know that you are a delight to the Lord.
- Thank Him for the things you appreciate about the things that make your relationship with Him special.
- Thank Him for the things – and the people – You recognize as taking Your relationship with Him to another level.
- The most important thing is to talk to Him about Your desire to delight in Him. Remember He is our helper not our judge. Ask. Seek. Knock.
- “How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O LORD of hosts! My soul longed and even yearned for the courts of the LORD. My heart and my flesh sing for joy to the living God” (Psalm 84:1-2 NASB).
- To be in the presence of the Lord is to lounge in mystery.
- Take time out to be a receiver from the Lord, not just an achiever for the Lord.
- From other women delighters…
- The words of warrior prophetess Deborah Judges 5:31 “…may they who love you be like the sun when it rises in its strength.”
- Hannah – 1 Samuel 2, My heart exults in the Lord… “My heart exults in the LORD; I rejoice in Thy salvation. 2 ” There is no one holy like the LORD, Indeed, there is no one besides Thee, Nor is there any rock like our God.
- Or Mary, just sitting at Jesus’ feet, soaking in His presence.
When you delight yourself in the Lord it changes everything about you as a mom, as a woman and especially as a believer.