March 21, 2021
Text: 2 Corinthians 5:11-21
1. A New View of Christ – In Christ it’s no longer about “The rules” but rather a new relationship. (Vs. 11)
- All the references to Christ in this passage illustrate clearly one idea: This new life is all about a relationship with Christ.
- John chapter 4:21-24 “Believe me, woman, a time is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem….a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks.God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth.”
- He initiated our relationship with Himself.
- So the Lord created us physically and then re-created us spiritually to be a suitable place for Him to reside by His Spirit.
- Verse 18 – “All of this is from God”
- There is no “one size fits all” way Jesus gives us a view of Himself
2. A New View of People – We no longer are “faked out” by what others *appear* to be, one way or the other. (Vs. 16)
- Matthew 9:36 When Jesus looked out on the multitude, He saw people who were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd and he felt compassion on them.
- As light dispels darkness, Jesus is the light of the world. We are to flood the world with His light, not swat at the darkness.
3. A New View of Purpose – Our purpose in life is to surrender our lives to His purposes. (Vs. 15)
- We are chosen to be part of the very life of God Himself.
- “We should no longer live for themselves.” It is a whole-life partnership the Lord has called us to.
- Does that sound like a huge commitment? If so, think of it this way: We don’t have to surrender our lives to Christ, we get to surrender to the One who knows me best and loves me the most.